- It is Cheaper: Ikorodu to mile 12 is N70 by BRT while smaller buses charge N100 or more.
- Less travel time: With BRT, it usually takes a shorter period of time to travel from point A to B especially during rush hours. Thanks to the dedicated BRT lanes.
- Job creation: From drivers to repair technicians and from cleaners to ticketing staff, the BRT system is contributing its own quota towards the reduction of unemployment in Lagos State and Nigeria.
- Physical activity: Many Lagosians saw this point as a disadvantage when we sampled their opinion on the subject. However, we think standing inside the buses or walking to the designated and farther BRT bus stops have more advantages as walking is one of the best form of exercise for a healthy lifestyle. This is one of the reasons you hardly see overweight and obese people on the streets of London and New York City.
- Safety and comfort: BRT is obviously safer to ride in compared to the Danfo buses. It is also safer than some private vehicles like the Kia Picanto. The air-conditioned buses also provide its occupants with comfortable seats.
- Global warming: Ideally, this is a major advantage of BRT in other countries, as reduction in the number of cars on the road leads to reduced carbon monoxide emission. However, it is the other way round in Lagos as BRT buses are currently having a smoke emission competition with container trucks. It is very surprising that Nigeria is yet to implement a law against emission which has caused rivers to start drying up in the country.
- Rough drivers: It is disheartening that the BRT drivers think they have 100% right of way at all times, therefore, they use their big and scary buses to intimidate other drivers on the road.
- Increased traffic for motorists: The introduction of the BRT led to an instant increase in traffic congestion on several major roads because a lane was converted to accommodate the Government operated buses. Lagosians have adjusted to this issue over time.
- No refund: If you use the last money on you to board a BRT bus and it breaks down midway, OYO is your case. You are on your own as there is no refund system in place. In some cases, you may be fortunate to get another BRT to join.
- Others: Occasional problems with tap in – tap out machine and difficulty to reverse when another bus breaks down ahead.
You can add the advantages and disadvantages you have noticed in the comment section.