The European Union wants to phase out petrol car sales by 2035, and many other countries have announced similar plans.
A petrol vehicle phaseout is sometimes called an ICE ban – or an internal combustion engine ban.
Many countries are planning for a diesel ban in addition to a petrol ban for new car sales.
The long list of countries planning to ban fossil fuel vehicles shows a growing trend of countries moving beyond crude oil products to cleaner, cheaper alternatives.
Here are the latest petrol car phaseout advances by various countries and the US – including banning petrol cars sales and diesel car bans.
NON-U.S. COUNTRIES/PROVINCES: GASOLINE PHASEOUT ADVANCES
1. Austria: seeks to to phase out registrations of new petrol vehicles by 2027.
2. British Columbia: legislation passed to ban sales of new petrol cars by 2040
3. Denmark: plans to ban petrol vehicles by 2030, and hybrids by 2035; has called on the European Union to expressly permit member states to enact 2030 bans.
4. Egypt: working on plan to have only electric vehicles by 2040
5. France: plans to ban sales of petrol vehicles by 2040
6. Germany: Bundesrat (upper house of legislature) passed resolution to only approve emission-free cars for use on the roads by 2030.
7. Iceland: plans to ban registration of new fossil fuel vehicles starting 2030; Reykjavik is eliminating half its petrol stations by 2025.
8. India: set a target of 100% electric vehicles by 2030, and is considering a ban on petrol-powered 2- and 3-wheeled vehicles by 2025.
9. Ireland: legislation proposed to only allow sales of zero emissions vehicles starting 2030
10. Israel: plans to ban sales of new petrol vehicles after 2030
11. Japan: plans to ban sales of new petrol vehicles by 2035.
12. Korea: contemplating banning sales of new petrol vehicles by 2035
13. Netherlands: all new cars must be emissions-free by 2030; Amsterdam is banning all petrol/diesel vehicles from its streets by 2030
14. Norway: plans to ban sales of petrol vehicles by 2025 (currently 60% of new car sales are electric)
15. Portugal: plans to stop selling new petrol vehicles by 2040
16. Quebec: phasing out sales of new gas cars by 2035
17. Slovenia: plans to ban sales of new fossil fuel vehicles by 2030
18. Spain: plans to ban the sale of vehicles running on fossil fuels by 2040
19. Sri Lanka: plans to ban all fossil fuel vehicles from the roads by 2040.
20. Sweden: plans to ban sales of petrol cars after 2030
21. Taiwan: plans to ban sales of new non-electric vehicles by 2040
22. Thailand: plans to phase out sales of new gas cars by 2035
23. UK: plans to ban sales of purely petrol or diesel vehicles by 2030; Scotland: plans to phase out sales of new petrol vehicles by 2032.
Amsterdam: no internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles will be allowed in city center after 2030.
Brussels: planning to largely ban gasoline powered vehicles from operating in the city by 2035.
Bristol: may be the first city to ban diesel vehicles from entering the city center.
Hong Kong: plans to phase out all gasoline and diesel vehicles by 2030 or 2040.