The European Union wants to phase out petrol car sales by 2035, and many other countries have announced similar plans.
A petrol vehicle phaseout is sometimes called an ICE ban – or an internal combustion engine ban.
Many countries are planning for a diesel ban in addition to a petrol ban for new car sales.
The long list of countries planning to ban fossil fuel vehicles shows a growing trend of countries moving beyond crude oil products to cleaner, cheaper alternatives.
Here are the latest petrol car phaseout advances by various countries and the US – including banning petrol cars sales and diesel car bans.
NON-U.S. COUNTRIES/PROVINCES: GASOLINE PHASEOUT ADVANCES
1. Austria: seeks to to phase out registrations of new petrol vehicles by 2027.
2. British Columbia: legislation passed to ban sales of new petrol cars by 2040
3. Denmark: plans to ban petrol vehicles by 2030, and hybrids by 2035; has called on the European Union to expressly permit member states to enact 2030 bans.
4. Egypt: working on plan to have only electric vehicles by 2040
5. France: plans to ban sales of petrol vehicles by 2040
6. Germany: Bundesrat (upper house of legislature) passed resolution to only approve emission-free cars for use on the roads by 2030.
7. Iceland: plans to ban registration of new fossil fuel vehicles starting 2030; Reykjavik is eliminating half its petrol stations by 2025.
8. India: set a target of 100% electric vehicles by 2030, and is considering a ban on petrol-powered 2- and 3-wheeled vehicles by 2025.
9. Ireland: legislation proposed to only allow sales of zero emissions vehicles starting 2030
10. Israel: plans to ban sales of new petrol vehicles after 2030
11. Japan: plans to ban sales of new petrol vehicles by 2035.
12. Korea: contemplating banning sales of new petrol vehicles by 2035
13. Netherlands: all new cars must be emissions-free by 2030; Amsterdam is banning all petrol/diesel vehicles from its streets by 2030
14. Norway: plans to ban sales of petrol vehicles by 2025 (currently 60% of new car sales are electric)
15. Portugal: plans to stop selling new petrol vehicles by 2040
16. Quebec: phasing out sales of new gas cars by 2035
17. Slovenia: plans to ban sales of new fossil fuel vehicles by 2030
18. Spain: plans to ban the sale of vehicles running on fossil fuels by 2040
19. Sri Lanka: plans to ban all fossil fuel vehicles from the roads by 2040.
20. Sweden: plans to ban sales of petrol cars after 2030
21. Taiwan: plans to ban sales of new non-electric vehicles by 2040
22. Thailand: plans to phase out sales of new gas cars by 2035
23. UK: plans to ban sales of purely petrol or diesel vehicles by 2030; Scotland: plans to phase out sales of new petrol vehicles by 2032.
Amsterdam: no internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles will be allowed in city center after 2030.
Brussels: planning to largely ban gasoline powered vehicles from operating in the city by 2035.
Bristol: may be the first city to ban diesel vehicles from entering the city center.
Hong Kong: plans to phase out all gasoline and diesel vehicles by 2030 or 2040.
News19 hours ago
Kia Sonet Arrives In Nigeria As An Urban And Athletic Compact SUV
News1 day ago
Nigeria Customs To Deploy Drones At Seme Border To Check Smuggling Activities
News1 day ago
All 300 Units Of The Acura NSX Type S Sold In Under 24 Hours
Car Facts2 days ago
Exclusive Interview With Head Of “Rolls-Royce Whispers” A Unique Social Network App That Connects Rolls-Royce Owners
Latest Cars1 day ago
Ford Refreshes Expedition For 2022 And Adds Timberline Trim (Photos)
Latest Cars2 hours ago
Honda Passport Gets Rugged Off-road Oriented TrailSport Trim For 2022