Nigeria Police Code Of Conduct
Nigeria Police Code Of Conduct.
The fundamental duties of a police officer include safeguarding lives and properties, protecting the innocent, keeping peace and community service. In addition to these, the duty of a police officer is and ensuring the rights of all to liberty, equality and justice.
The purpose of having a code of conduct is to provide all members of the Nigeria Police Force with a set of guiding principles and standards of behaviour while on or off-duty. Added to that, the code of conduct determines what is right and proper in all actions of the police officers.
The Nigeria police code of conduct is for all police officer irrespective of their ranks.
This code of conduct will encompass the following:
- Primary Responsibilities of a Police Officer – A police officer acts as an official representative of government who is required and trusted to work within the law. The officer’s powers and duties are conferred by statute. The fundamental duties of a police officer include serving the community, safeguarding lives and property, protecting the innocent, keeping the peace and ensuring the rights of all to liberty, equality and justice;
- Performance of duties as a police officer – A police officer shall perform all duties impartially; without favour of affection or ill-will. This should be without regard regard to status, sex, race, religion, political belief or aspiration.
- Discretion – A Police officer will use responsibly, the discretion vested in his position and exercise it within the law.
- Use of Force – A police officer will never employ unnecessary force or violence.
- Confidentiality – Whatever a police officer sees, hears or learns which is of a confidential nature.
- Integrity – A police officer will not engage in acts of corruption or bribery.
Click on the link HERE to access the comprehensive Police Code Of Conduct.
Police officers shall conduct themselves, whether on or off duty, in accordance with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all applicable laws, ordinances and rules enacted or established pursuant to legal authority.
Police officers shall refrain from any conduct in an official capacity that detracts from the public’s faith in the integrity of the criminal justice system.
Police officers shall perform their duties and apply the law impartially and without prejudice or discrimination.
Police officers shall not, whether on or off duty, exhibit any conduct which discredits themselves or the Force or otherwise impairs their ability or that of other officers or the Force to provide law enforcement services to the community.
Police officers shall treat all members of the public courteously and with respect.
Police officers shall not compromise their integrity nor that of the Force, by accepting, giving or soliciting any gratuity which could be reasonably interpreted as capable of influencing their official acts or judgments, or by using their status as a police officer for personal, commercial, or political gain.
Police officers shall not compromise their integrity, nor that of their Force, by taking or attempting to influence actions when a conflict of interest exists.
Police officers shall observe the confidentiality of information available to them due to their status as police officers.
Do you think the Nigerian police officers you’ve had an encounter with keep to these code of conducts? Let’s hear from you using the comment section.
See Related Post: 11 Cars Nigerian Police Officers See As Yahoo Boys Cars