- The Asaba airport is an airport serving Asaba, the capital of Delta state.
- The airport also serves Onitsha, across the Niger River in Anambra State.
- The Emmanuel Uduaghan led-Delta State government constructed the Asaba Airport.
- The contract for the construction of the Airport was awarded to an indigenous firm, U.L.O Consultants Ltd. It is owned by Ogbueshi Uche Luke Okpuno, an Asaba indigene.
- On May 7, 2008, the former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Chairman, Chief Vincent Ogbulafor, laid the foundation stone of the airport.
- The surrounding communities at the airport include Asaba, Ibusa, Okpanam and Ogwashi-uku.
- Though it is yet to be officially commissioned, the Asaba airport began commercial flight operations in 2013.
- Flying routes that can be accessed through the airport include Asaba-Kano; Lagos-Asaba; Abuja-Asaba; and Chartered flights from any part of the country.
- Airlines that ply the Asaba airport route include Aero, Peace Airline and Overland and chartered airlines.
- On Thursday, March 24, 2011, the first aircraft at the Asaba Airport landed. It was a 48-sitter commercial aircraft owned by Overland Airways. It was a chartered flight by the Delta State Government. It carried Governor Uduaghan and other state officials. It took off in Abuja at about 1:15 pm and landed at the airport at about 2 pm.
- Gilbert Sampa was the pilot that flew the first aircraft – Overland Airways ATR42 (5N-BND) – to the Asaba airport.
- On Friday, March 25, 2011, the second aircraft to land at the Asaba airport was a 6-seater France Air passenger Lear Jet, D/CPDR. The flight departed from Abuja at about 9 am. It was a 25-minute flight to Asaba. Frenchman, Ekstrand Rolf, piloted the aircraft.
- The second aircraft to Asaba airport which was piloted by Frenchman, Ekstrand Rolf. The plane eventually departed the airport at exactly 10:00 am.
- The second flight to land at Asaba airport had onboard Nigerian hip hop star, Wande Coal, who entertained the impressive crowd which had gathered to witness the event.
- On July 19, 2011, the first commercial flight with passengers from Abuja landed at the Asaba International Airport at exactly 12.17pm. The 48-seater Overland aircraft with registration number 5N-BND arrived at the airport with 20 passengers onboard.
- The first international flight landed at the Asaba International Airport on. The flight conveyed the Nigerian Super Eagles to South Africa. The aircraft was Boeing 737 aircraft belonging to Max Air,
- Though originally projected to cost about N7billion to N12billion, the construction cost of the Asaba Airport was later upwardly reviewed to about N40 billion. This new cost elicited criticism from different quarters.
- The airport since it began operations in 2011 has since seen a number of upgrades and renovations to transform it into a sleek and modern gateway to Delta State.
- Asaba International Airport (IATA code: ABB) currently only operates domestic flights to other cities in Nigeria. Domestic airlines that land at Asaba International Airport includes Arik Air and Overland Airways. ABB is a 25-minute drive from the city center of Asaba.
- On November 15, 2018, the Super Eagles of Nigeria became the first passengers to fly out of the Asaba Airport on an international flight to South Africa. They boarded a Boeing 737 aircraft (5N-MH) belonging to Max Air. The aircraft was piloted by Captain Yahaya Pam. The flight departed Asaba at 6.55 pm.
News2 days ago
Police Crushes Custom BMW M3 Because It Was Built With Parts Stolen From Two M3’s
Latest Cars2 days ago
Toyota Toughens Up The Corolla Cross With GR Sport Trim
News1 day ago
Kia Partners The CIBN 14th Bankers’ Conference, Commended For Its Contribution Towards Nigeria’s Industrialization
News13 hours ago
Popemobile : Pope Francis Uses Glass-sided Armoured Mercedes G-Class During His Trip To Slovakia
News13 hours ago
Owner Of A Limousine Service And Wife Turns Chauffeur Due To Driver Shortage, Loses $3k-a-Week
News13 hours ago
First Production Rivian R1T Electric Pickup Truck Rolls Off Assembly Line
Latest Cars23 hours ago
Nissan Launches “Very Limited Edition” 2022 GT-R T-Spec (Photos)
News12 hours ago
Analyst Predicts VW On Track To Outpass Tesla As Top Global EV Brand By 2025