- The Asaba airport is an airport serving Asaba, the capital of Delta state.
- The airport also serves Onitsha, across the Niger River in Anambra State.
- The Emmanuel Uduaghan led-Delta State government constructed the Asaba Airport.
- The contract for the construction of the Airport was awarded to an indigenous firm, U.L.O Consultants Ltd. It is owned by Ogbueshi Uche Luke Okpuno, an Asaba indigene.
- On May 7, 2008, the former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Chairman, Chief Vincent Ogbulafor, laid the foundation stone of the airport.
- The surrounding communities at the airport include Asaba, Ibusa, Okpanam and Ogwashi-uku.
- Though it is yet to be officially commissioned, the Asaba airport began commercial flight operations in 2013.
- Flying routes that can be accessed through the airport include Asaba-Kano; Lagos-Asaba; Abuja-Asaba; and Chartered flights from any part of the country.
- Airlines that ply the Asaba airport route include Aero, Peace Airline and Overland and chartered airlines.
- On Thursday, March 24, 2011, the first aircraft at the Asaba Airport landed. It was a 48-sitter commercial aircraft owned by Overland Airways. It was a chartered flight by the Delta State Government. It carried Governor Uduaghan and other state officials. It took off in Abuja at about 1:15 pm and landed at the airport at about 2 pm.
- Gilbert Sampa was the pilot that flew the first aircraft – Overland Airways ATR42 (5N-BND) – to the Asaba airport.
- On Friday, March 25, 2011, the second aircraft to land at the Asaba airport was a 6-seater France Air passenger Lear Jet, D/CPDR. The flight departed from Abuja at about 9 am. It was a 25-minute flight to Asaba. Frenchman, Ekstrand Rolf, piloted the aircraft.
- The second aircraft to Asaba airport which was piloted by Frenchman, Ekstrand Rolf. The plane eventually departed the airport at exactly 10:00 am.
- The second flight to land at Asaba airport had onboard Nigerian hip hop star, Wande Coal, who entertained the impressive crowd which had gathered to witness the event.
- On July 19, 2011, the first commercial flight with passengers from Abuja landed at the Asaba International Airport at exactly 12.17pm. The 48-seater Overland aircraft with registration number 5N-BND arrived at the airport with 20 passengers onboard.
- The first international flight landed at the Asaba International Airport on. The flight conveyed the Nigerian Super Eagles to South Africa. The aircraft was Boeing 737 aircraft belonging to Max Air,
- Though originally projected to cost about N7billion to N12billion, the construction cost of the Asaba Airport was later upwardly reviewed to about N40 billion. This new cost elicited criticism from different quarters.
- The airport since it began operations in 2011 has since seen a number of upgrades and renovations to transform it into a sleek and modern gateway to Delta State.
- Asaba International Airport (IATA code: ABB) currently only operates domestic flights to other cities in Nigeria. Domestic airlines that land at Asaba International Airport includes Arik Air and Overland Airways. ABB is a 25-minute drive from the city center of Asaba.
- On November 15, 2018, the Super Eagles of Nigeria became the first passengers to fly out of the Asaba Airport on an international flight to South Africa. They boarded a Boeing 737 aircraft (5N-MH) belonging to Max Air. The aircraft was piloted by Captain Yahaya Pam. The flight departed Asaba at 6.55 pm.
News1 day ago
Oluwo Of Iwo Land Arrives In Style At The Palace Of Sir Gabriel Igbinedion In A Rolls-Royce Phantom
News23 hours ago
Buyers Must Agree Not To Sell Their Toyota Land Cruiser 300 To Avoid Falling Into Terrorists Hands
News2 days ago
WATCH : Several Dispatch Riders Seen Delivering Rams Just In Time For Sallah
News1 day ago
Lagos NURTW ‘Agbero’ Generates N123bn Annually – Report
Concept Cars2 days ago
VW Launches The Atlas Cross Sport GT Concept With Rad Styling And 300+ Hp (Photos)
Auto Fun23 hours ago
Brabus Upgrades Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe Into An 800 Hp Monster (Photos)
News22 hours ago
Rolls-Royce Presents Greenpower Car To 8 Year Old ‘Young Designer Competition Winner’
News8 hours ago
Ekiti OAP Shares Wedding Pictures, Rides In Style With Bride To Reception In A Motorcycle Truck (PHOTOS)