Safety is something that drivers should keep in mind at all times. After all, when you are operating a motorized vehicle, you have a responsibility to do your part to keep the roadways safe for yourself, other drivers, passengers, and others who may be affected by traffic accidents. These are some of the tips that will make us better drivers:
- Stay Alert – Actively pay attention to your actions and those of the drivers around you when you are driving.
- Avoid Assumptions – Don’t make the mistake of assuming that other drivers are going to do or what you think they should do.
- Use Turn Signals – While you can’t depend on others always signaling their intentions when driving, you can certainly control whether or not they have realistic expectations for your actions. Always use your turn signals in advance of making a lane change or a turn.
- Buckle Up – Wearing your seat belt is an essential safety tip for drivers. Not only are you more likely to get injured in an accident if you aren’t wearing a seat belt, you can also be fined for failing to do so.
- Follow Traffic Signals – Pay close attention to and obey stop signs and traffic lights.
- Respect Yellow Lights – Remember that the intent of a yellow light is to notify drivers to slow down and prepare to stop. A yellow traffic signal should not be viewed as a sign to step on the gas to rush through an intersection before the light turns red.
- Obey Speed Limits – When driving, it’s important to stick to the posted speed limit at all times. The restrictions placed on vehicle speed are not established arbitrarily. Rather, they are carefully selected to maximize safety for drivers and for individuals in the homes, businesses, and other organizations in the areas where roadways are located.
- Make Adjustments for Weather-When the weather is less than perfect, such as rainy or foggy, use extra precautions when driving and follow guidelines for staying safe in the particular situation you are facing.
- Exercise Patience – Many accidents are caused by impatient drivers who are rushing to get from point A to point B. While time is certainly a valid consideration when traveling, safety is even more important. After all, if you are involved in an accident you’ll certainly experience more of a challenge arriving at your destination on time than if you simply exhibit patience while driving.
- Be Predictable – Don’t make sudden stops or lane changes. Instead, take care to ensure that other drivers are likely to be able to predict your actions to maximize safety.
- Never Drive Under the Influence – It’s essential to avoid operating a vehicle if you have been drinking, taking certain types of prescription or non-prescription drugs, or are otherwise impaired.
- Yield Right of Way – When other drivers has the right of way, be sure to yield to them. Also, don’t make the mistake of assuming that everyone else will yield to you when they should. Regardless of who has the right to go, yield if it seems that the other driver may not be observing standard practices for yielding.
- Know Where You Are Going – Plan your travel route ahead of time so that you aren’t struggling to figure out where to go while you are operating a motorized vehicle.
- Respect Stopped Vehicles – When passing vehicles that are stopped on the side of the road, move over to get out of the way if the way is clear for you to change lanes. If changing lanes is not possible, slow down while passing stopped vehicles.
- Avoid Distractions – Sending text messages isn’t the only dangerous distraction that drivers need to avoid while operating a vehicle. Changing CDs, using cell phones, eating, and interacting with passengers are just a few examples of the types of distractions that you should take care to avoid when driving.
- Use Headlights When Needed – Headlights aren’t just necessary at night. When you are driving in the rain or fog, turning on your headlights can play an important role in keeping you – and those around you – safe on the road.
News2 days ago
Kia Sonet Arrives In Nigeria As An Urban And Athletic Compact SUV
News16 hours ago
Covid-19: Hundreds Of Taxis Turned To Vegetable Farm In Thailand (Pics)
News15 hours ago
Nigerian Police Force Emergency Numbers In All 36 States And FCT
Latest Cars1 day ago
Honda Passport Gets Rugged Off-road Oriented TrailSport Trim For 2022
News15 hours ago
Angry Fans Whose Side Lost 2-0 Burn Referee’s Mercedes While Driving Home From Match
News15 hours ago
A Funeral Truck With Ad ‘Don’t Get Vaccinated’ Urges People To Get Vaccinated
Latest Cars3 hours ago
Brabus Unleashes World Fastest SUV In The 900 Rocket Edition (Photos)
News7 hours ago
Giant Sinkhole Swallows Diesel Tanker In Owerri After Newly Constructed Road Collapsed