When it comes to wearing a seatbelt in Nigeria 40% of Nigerian road users don’t find it useful or they underestimate its usefulness while the 50% that wears it don’t wear it religiously or they only wear it to take a selfie. The remaining 10% that uses the seatbelt do so in order not to be fined by the law according to a survey conducted by a team of experts.
According to National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria recorded 11, 363 road accidents in 2016, the report stated that 4,696 of the 5,053 Nigerians that got killed, representing 93 percent of the figure were adults, while the remaining 357 Nigerians, representing seven percent of the figure are children. About 50% of these people could be saved if they wore seatbelts. Driver safety is very important. When you are behind the wheel, your actions will affect you, the people you carry in the car and anyone else who happens to be on the road near you.
One way to promote safety is to always wear your seatbelt when the car is in motion even when you are driving within your Estate because studies have shown that 75% of car accidents and injuries occur within 25 miles of the home. Also, more than half of all injury-producing motor accidents involve low speed under 40mph.
Perhaps, you don’t like wearing a seatbelt or don’t find the task to be very important, our list of reasons to wear a seatbelt may just change your mind.
- Seatbelt Saves Lives: The function of the seatbelts is to stop the forward momentum of the driver and front passenger in the event of an accident. It is the best defense against road hazards, aggressive drivers, distracted drivers etc. The front and back of a car are designed to crumple to absorb the violent shock of impact, and the seatbelts would restrain the occupants and hold them back in the car. Without the seatbelts, forward momentum would smash the head and body into the steering wheel, dashboard, windshield or front seat.
- It works together with Airbags: We are in the day and age when front airbags are standard accessories, unquestioning belief in the life-saving property of airbags often devalues the importance of seatbelts. The reality is airbags are designed to work in conjunction with seatbelts, not independently or in place of seatbelts. Without putting up a seatbelt, an airbag might not expand fast enough to cushion the forward momentum of the occupant and in certain cases plowing unrestrained into an airbag has been known to cause death by suffocation.
- It is the Law: Wearing a seatbelt is the law in any country. If you are caught not wearing a seatbelt you could face expensive fines and consequences.
- Safety of our Children: Children in a car are more vulnerable to getting flung in the event of an accident. Seatbelts work on top of various child restraint systems each tailored to the height of the child to significantly reduce the fatality rate of children in car accidents. Of every 100 children who die in motor vehicle accidents at least, 80 would survive if they were properly secured in an approved child safety seat or safety belt.
- Maximum protection for pregnant women: Wearing a seatbelt is critical to the protection of both mother and child. It is perfectly safe for even heavily pregnant women. It may be slightly uncomfortable for an expectant mother but wearing a seatbelt will not harm the baby at all and it reduces the fatality risk of the mother without whom the fetus’s chances of survival are grim.
In conclusion, people have a general notion that the back seatbelt is not useful like that of the front, this is not true. It is as important as the front seatbelts. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) wearing a front seatbelt can reduce the risk of fatal injury by 50% while wearing a back seatbelt can reduce the risk by a whopping 75%.
Make wearing your seatbelt a habit. The next time you get in a car remember to buckle up, no one plans to get into an accident but a seatbelt can save your life only if you are wearing it.
See Related Post Innoson Motors Releases All New 2017 4×4 IVM Carrier (Photos)
Download Our Android App Today… https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.donald.autojosh&hl=en
News2 days ago
This $26m Boeing 747 Owned By Televangelist May Never Fly Again Due To Expensive Repair Cost
News1 day ago
Instagram Comedian Oluwadolarz Thank Fans For Their Prayers After Crashing His Lexus In Lekki
News1 day ago
Cristiano Ronaldo And His $22M Car Collection Are Staying In Italy As Juventus Star Returns To Training
News1 day ago
Rumor: Next Generation Chevrolet Camaro To Be A 4-Door Performance EV
Celebrities Auto9 hours ago
Premier League Footballers Who Crashed Their Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon SUVs Due To Over-speeding
News24 hours ago
Acquisition Of Refurbished Cars For N1 Billion : EFCC Freezes Oyo Assembly Finance Director’s Account
Concept Cars1 day ago
GM For Releases Photos Of A 4 Seater Chevrolet Corvette Concept That Never Was
News10 hours ago
Luxury Cars Inside Obi Cubana’s Garage, Including Lexus LX 570 And Rolls-Royces