Firefighters were on hand to rescue a burning bluebird Nissan car in Ekiti as driver run to safety.
The incident happened while the driver was waiting for the traffic light to indicate the Green Light pass.
A driver has lucky to escape unhurt today after his vehicle, a Nissan Bluebird car, suddenly caught fire around 3 pm at the front of Okesa police Station in Ado Ekiti.
According to reports, the driver was waiting for the traffic light to indicate the Green Light pass when he discovered fire in the bonnet area of his car.
The efforts of the passersbys, who tried saving the burning car by pouring sachet water to quench the flame, went unsuccessful. Meanwhile, many other onlookers were shouting at the unfortunate incident, asking where are the fire fighters?
Luckily, officers of the State’s fire service, whose office is 3 minute walk away from the scene, later arrived to rescue the situation. During the time of the rescuing mission, some observers showed their disappointment at the initial unprofessionalism of the officers.
They noted that till today, some of the fire fighters cannot differentiate what quenches fire caused by petrol from electrical spark.
Present at the scene is one of the Assistant Fire Superintendent, AFS Ademola, who narrated how the incident happened.
He said, “A Nissan car with registered number SSE 181AA caught fire from the engine compartment on motion. This happened when the driver stood still, awaiting the green light to be on.”
Officers from the Nigerian police force reportedly helped in pushing the vehicle to safe spot after the situation was brought under control.