This article shows you the steps for resetting the maintenance required light on the dashboard of Toyota Highlander. The procedure is same for first generation Toyota Highlander (2001-2007).
The Toyota Highlander’s ‘maint reqd’ light simply means a service interval has been met. And this means engine oil is due for change. It comes on 5,000 miles after the last time it was reset.
This light comes on strictly as a function of those miles; it has no way of knowing whether your oil has or hasn’t been changed in the interim. It is also not an indication that something is wrong with your engine.
Below are the steps you should follow to reset the maintenance required light in first generation Toyota Highlander.
- Turn the ignition switch to the “On” position but do not crank the engine.
- Press the odometer button until the total mileage shows on the display.
- Turn the ignition switch off.
- Press and hold the odometer button. Turn the ignition on again.
- Release the odometer button when the maintenance required light blinks a few times then disappears.
Below is a video for the purpose of clarity;