Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Project 61% Complete
The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway reconstruction and rehabilitation has achieved 61 per cent completion.
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Kayode Popoola, made this announcement on Wednesday.
According to report, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc is handling section one of the project which is about 43 km. It spans from Ojota in Lagos to the Sagamu Interchange.
Popoola told NAN in Lagos that Julius Berger abandoned the site for about two months. This was because of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. However, they have resumed work in May. Work is in progress despite the challenges.
He listed some of the challenges slowing down the construction to high traffic and vehicular volume. Also, the limited number of construction workers allowed on site due to COVID-19 restriction guidelines delayed work.
The federal controller also explained that over 24 km of the road had been completed. 50 per cent of it represents about 20 km of drainage works also completed on both carriageways.
Popoola added that some median drains and kerbs had also been completed.
Speaking on the Apapa-Oshodi-Ojota-Oworonsoki Expressway project being handled by the Dangote Group, the controller said it was 48 per cent completed.
Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari flagged off the project in Lagos in November 2018. The construction is expected to enhance ease of doing business at the ports and reduce discomfort for motorists.
Speaking on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway project, he said that some workers of CGC Nigeria Ltd, contractors on the project, were stranded abroad due to suspension of international flights because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Popoola said the staff who travelled to China were unable to return to Nigeria before the closure of the airports.
“Some of their management staff are in China, they are eager to come back but the airports are closed,” he told newsmen.
Commenting on the Lagos-Ota-Abeokuta Expressway project, he said that Julius Berger was working around Gudugba on the Abeokuta end of the highway before they were forced to leave in February due to Coronavirus.
“After the COVID-19 lockdown, the contractor will return to site,”he said.