Just last week, two traffic offenders that passed through ‘one-way’ in Ikeja, forfeited their cars for breaking a traffic rule after a court ruling.
The minimum financial penalty under the Lagos State traffic law (aside from towing expenses) is N20,000 (Twenty Thousand Naira) only – a sum which is higher than the monthly National Minimum Wage. It is therefore in the best interest of road users to know what constitutes an offence so as to avoid its draconian consequences including the possibility of facing criminal prosecutions, being sent to expensive State approved driving school and other penalties.
Traffic Offences and Fines
1. Driving without a Driver’s licence – Impound vehicle.
2. Driving of any vehicle by person under 18 – N30,000.
3. Driving with fake number plates – N30,000, 3 years in prison.
4. Driving with forged vehicle particulars – 6 months in prison.
5. Driving with fake driver’s licence – 6 months in prison.
6. Driving without road worthiness – Impound vehicle.
7. Driving only yellow – N80,000. Enforce painting
8. Driving with Hackey permit – Impound vehicle.
9. No display of Hackey permit – Impound vehicle
10. Kabu Kabu without permit – Impound vehicle
11. Disobeying LASTMA Officer – N30,000/Impound vehicle.
12. Neglect of traffic direction light – 3 months in prison.
13. Smoking while driving – N30,000/Impound vehicle.
14. Physically assault traffic officer – N50,000/6 months in prison.
15. Driving without full light – N50,000.
16. Driving with worn out tyre – N30,000.
17. Driving without spare tyre – N30,000
18. Driving smoking vehicle – N30,000
19. No fire extinguisher – N30,000
20. Broken windscreen – N30,000
21. Tinted windscreen – N30,000
22. Eating and driving with one hand – 3 months in prison.
23. One way driving – 3 years in prison
24. Driving without fasten seat blt – N30,000
25. Not painting a commercial vehicle the approved colour – N50,000
26. No car hire service permit – 1st 20,000; 2nd N30,000, Impond vehicle
27. Parking on yellow line on any public highway/illegal parking – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000
28. Vehicle crossing double yellow line/center line – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000.
29. Staying within the yellow junction box (offside rule) – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000
30. Failure to yield to right of the way of pedestrian at zebra crossing – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000
31. Failure to give to traffic on the left at a roundabout – 1st N20,000; subsequent N30,000.
32. Driving on walkway or kerb – Impound
33. Reversing on the highway & parking on walkways – 50,000 naira
34. Obstruction of traffic -20,000 naira
35. Picking/Dropping passengers on illegal B/stop -50,000 naira
36. Driving on BRT lanes – 70,000 naira.
Ignorance is not an excuse! While we accept that it’s not possible for all the traffic agencies to arrest everyone, all they just need is someone who will be used as a scapegoat, please, don’t be one of such. Obey all traffic laws and drive responsibly.