Connect with us

Tips

10 Safety Tips To Help You Drive & Keep You Safe This Rainy Season

Nwogbunyama Emeka

Published

on

car driving in the rain
Again, rain is upon us as we gradually creep into the rainy season of this nation.

These safety rules have been put together to help keep you safe as you drive under the rain. Remember, the goal is to keep you and your car safe from damage no matter how small it can be.
Driving in wet weather condition is much different when driving on dry weather.

Here are a few tips to help you drive safely during this period:

Before we proceed, someone once said to me that it’s only 10% of Nigerian drivers that manage to adhere to safety rules and the remaining 90% don’t give a damn about these rules. Be it as it may, I still want to prove him wrong. A lot of people are willing to learn and play by the rules. Don’t be among that 90%.





 

 

1. Don’t swim your car through flooded roads:

This is most serious when it comes to roads that you don’t know. You might land yourself and car into a deep ditch.
Don’t drive through stagnant or flowing water in a road (unless you don’t have an alternative).
Swimming your car can arise to engine hydrolocking. It can as well float your car.

2. Keep both hands on the steering wheel:
This will help you be at alert at all times. Heavy rain comes with dangers such as falling trees and electric poles, mud slides etc. With both hands on wheel, you can easily react and take the necessary actions needed.

3. Be aware of hydroplaning:
hydroplaning

This is where your vehicle travels on top of the water and has NO or very little contact with the ground. Your traction is reduced significantly. To safely get out of a hydroplaning situation let off the gas and steer straight or slightly in the direction you must go. Do not make sudden motions and remain calm.

You may also like to read 5 simple And Very Useful Tips For Vehicle Maintenance.

4. Pull over to a safe spot if visibility is poor:
When you pull over along the road, you can as well on your hazard light to create awareness of your presence.
Filling station or shopping mall is one of the best places you can park.





5. You should be cautious of your brakes:
Wet road and wet drum brakes increases the stopping time of the brakes. There is decreased stopping power.

6. Turn on your headlights. During rain, there is low visibility; your headlight on will make it easier for you to see what’s ahead.

 

7. Do not drive at high speed when it’s raining. Driving at lower speed increases stability of driving for the driver

8.  Do not tailgate a car; maintain an adequate distance with the vehicle ahead of you.

9. Be sure to expect hidden portholes submerged by water. Be careful!

10. Ensure your windshield wipers are effective.

 

 

 

 





Emeka is a Contributor at Autojosh. A graduate of Electrical/Electronic Engineering with a B.Eng degree. Emeka is a car enthusiast who is interested in traveling, writing, movies and driving. He also loves drinking garri with cold water.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending