Never assume all is well when buying a Nigerian used car.
OYO may be your case if you don’t sight and verify all the vehicle documents before you part with your money..
Some have fallen victim.. and the car they bought ended up being stolen or smuggled vehicles. To prevent future occurrence, I have come up with this list that will prevent you from buying an undocumented vehicle..
These are the 8 Documents you should ask for when buying a Nigerian used car:
1. Custom documents fully stamped and check whether all things correspond like name and model of car, VIN and all payments were made. Mostly like 6 or more papers.. could be photocopy if multiple cars were cleared by one dealer. But make sure it is a clear crisp document not faded crap.. and don’t take the nobody will ask you for customer paper crap it could spell doom or stolen vehicle.
2. CMR (Computerized Motor Registration) original copy
3. Current insurance (original copy)
4. Vehicle licence (original copy)
5. Road worthiness certificate (original copy)
6. Plate number allocation (original copy)
7. Original proof of ownership fully stamped
8. You will collect two printed and signed documents:
a. Change of ownership document
b. Receipt of purchase from previous owner
There are some other documents you may need like
a. Tinted permit doc
b. police report/doc of change of ownership/plate number/engine number/ chassis number (which we call vin)
Make sure you see the change of ownership letter given to the buyer duly signed when he first bought it as Nigerian used.. except the car was bought as tokunbo then you may not need this.
Once the car doesn’t have custom doc.. except it’s a beetle and the documents have expired years ago, I suggest you stay away from such ride.
If you have any further questions, don’t forget to drop it in the comment section.
Written by: Adetoro Nurey