Whichever one found in the engine of a car serves a purpose. Let’s get to know what this purpose is before we go into their differences. Timing matters a lot in everything you do in life even when it comes to the engine of your car. When things are done properly at the right time, you’re sure of getting a good result.
In order to guarantee this specific timing, the timing belt or timing chain works with the camshaft and crankshaft to keep the motion of the valves and pistons working in perfect synchrony.To explain further, the camshaft in the engine controls the valves to let fuel and air in and out. At the same time, the crankshaft moves the pistons up and down.
This is called mechanical timing and the synchrony of these functions is imperative. If the mechanical timing is off, damage could occur to the valves, pistons, engine, or other components. The purpose of the timing belt or chain is to ensure the harmonization by keeping each turning at the precise rate.
Now you have known what timing belt or timing chain does, let’s proceed to knowing the difference between the two. How do they differ from one another?
1. The simple difference between timing belts and timing chains is that timing belts are belts and timing chains are chains. Timing belts are made of reinforced rubber materials while timing chains are made of metal.
2. Timing chains were first used in cars before timing belts were introduced in the 1960s.
3. Timing belts are quieter and less expensive compared to timing chains.
4. Timing chains are housed within the engine and receive lubrication from engine oil and can last a long time, while timing belts are located outside of the engine and tend to dry out and crack.
5. Image difference of an engine with timing belt and timing chain
However, more vehicle manufacturers have integrated timing chains back into some vehicles with vast improvements such as a reduction in noise and vibrations.
Are you wondering if your car is using a timing belt or timing chain? Check the owner’s manual of your car and find out which one it is.
Don’t forget to like, rate and share this post.
See Also: 3 Important Checks Before You Buy A Car
News2 days ago
Audi Plans To Win Dakar Rally Race In 2022 With This New Electric RS Q E-Tron Offroading Truck
News20 hours ago
This $26m Boeing 747 Owned By Televangelist May Never Fly Again Due To Expensive Repair Cost
News1 day ago
Secure Your Loads : Metal Pole Launched From Truck Crashes Through SUV Windshield, Misses Driver
News1 day ago
Nollywood Actress Liz Anjorin Receives Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S SUV As Push Gift From Husband
Latest Cars1 day ago
Russian Car Manufacturer Lada Updates Niva SUV With New Bronto Trim (Photos)
Celebrities Auto1 day ago
Actor Tom Hanks Auctions His 1980 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser (Photos)
News1 day ago
Watch : Man Clings To Speeding Car After Female Driver Refused To Tip Him For Parking On His “Territory”
News13 hours ago
Instagram Comedian Oluwadolarz Thank Fans For Their Prayers After Crashing His Lexus In Lekki