The occurrence of road accidents is inevitable. But the good thing is that accidents can be reduced to the barest minimum when we do the needful. If the laid down traffic rules are adhered to, the number of accidents that happen on daily basis would certainly reduce.
One terrible thing about auto crash is that a very little mistake can result in fatality. Something that appears simple like not putting on your turn signal as at when due can end up catastrophic. So, every decision you make when driving counts.
In case there is an accident, there are various things that could be done by vehicle drivers, occupants and even volunteers to salvage the situation.
Below are the responsibilities of drivers, occupants and volunteers in the event of a road crash according to the Nigeria Highway Code;
DRIVERS OF VEHICLES
- Stop at the scene of the crash
- Check if you are hurt
- Check if anybody is hurt
- If not hurt, leave the epicenter of the crash to a safe location, summon courage and assist others
- State the fact of the case if asked by law enforcement agents
- Get skid marks, other identification and photographs
- Contact your insurer and lawyer
- Report the crash to the nearest FRSC Office or call 0700-2255-3772 (FRSC)
- If not hurt, vacate the hazardous location on the highway
- Give all necessary information
- If hurt but can talk, explain where it hurts to the first Aider
- Cooperate with first Aider
- Stop to help at every traffic crash scene
- By-standers are to cooperate with first Aider
- Do not compound the pain of the victim with your expressed emotion
- Help to clear obstructions
- Do not constitute obstructions
Note: The life you help save today may save yours tomorrow.
Which other responsibilities do you think were missed? Help state them using the comment section.
Don’t forget to like, rate and share.