The Standard Operating Procedure for driving school covers all activities relating to registration and certification of Driving Schools in Nigeria, enrollment of students and issuance of certificates to successful students at the completion of training.
FRSC being a lead agency in traffic management and administration in Nigeria is empowered by Section 5(f) of the FRSC (Establishment) Act 2007 to make regulations relating to the establishment, investigation and certification of driving schools in Nigeria.
Regulation 33 (1c) also requires the Commission to set guidelines for the establishment of such driving schools. Therefore, this Standard Operating Procedure is designed as a guide for driving schools operations in Nigeria.
APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION
Any prospective operator of a driving School MUST obtain form TSC0001 from any Federal Road Safety Commission office nearest to the location of the proposed school at no cost. OR Download from www.frsc-dssp.com.
Submit a completed form to the Command where the form was obtained with the following documents;
- CAC Certificate of Incorporation
- Valid Driver’s Licence of the Proprietor/Instructor.
INSPECTION AND CERTIFICATION OF DRIVING SCHOOL
1. The State Committee on Driving School Standardization Programme (DSSP) conducts inspection of the Driving School using the following checklists as attached:
- Classroom Inspection Checklist.
- Vehicle Inspection Checklist.
- Practical Driving Inspection Checklist.
2. The Committee forwards report of inspection and recommendations to the Training Department of FRSC National Headquarters.
3. Based on the inspection/assessment report, the National Headquarters gives provisional approval to the driving school that meets requirements as recommended by the State Committee on DSSP.
4. Unsuccessful driving school shall be communicated accordingly.
5. RSHQ gives access to successful Driving School on the FRSC DSSP Portal: www.frsc-dssp.com for its operations.
6. The final approval is based on the outcome of the confirmatory inspection of such driving school during the RSHQ quarterly inspection of driving schools in Nigeria.
You may also like: How to obtain a driving learner’s permit in Nigeria
CERTIFIED DRIVING SCHOOL ROUTINE OPERATIONS
1. Driving School receives and enrolls prospective trainees according to its capability and grade. (See annex ‘A’)
2. Driving School opens file for each student on the FRSC DSSP portal:www.frsc-dssp.com.
3. Trains the student for at least the specific number of hours as required. This is currently 26 sessions of minimum of one hour each per session.
4. Updates the student’s file on the portal at the end of each training session.
5. Generate certificate of driving proficiency for each student after completion of a minimum of 26 sessions.
FRSC shall sanction any violation of this Standard Operating Procedure for Driving Schools in Nigeria through:
1. Withdrawal of Certificate:
- FRSC shall notify the defaulting Driving School of its specific conduct that contravenes the provision of this Standard Operating Procedure;
- The defaulting Driving School shall be invited to explain its position in respect of the violation;
- If FRSC is not satisfied with the explanation of the driving school, or where the driving school fails to appear and explain itself, the Certificate of the Driving School shall be withdrawn through a letter.
2.Prosecution in the law court:
- Where a Driving School engages in fraudulent activities like forgery/falsification of document(s) or misrepresentation, it shall be notified of the offence and made to explain itself in writing.
- If FRSC is not satisfied with the explanation of the driving school, or where the driving school fails to explain in writing, it shall be prosecuted in a competent court of law.
3. Blacklisting of such violator:
- Where a Driving School’s Certificate has been withdrawn more than two times or where it has been convicted by a competent court of law, it shall be denied access to FRSC driving school portal which will lead to closure of such driving school.
In the event that a sanctioned Driving School desired to be re-certified, all processes for registration and certification of new driving School will apply.