The world is now a technology world, every one is a car owner. But as a car owner do we really know what we must know as to keep our car in good maintenance.
Here are the ten things every car owner must know in order to keep their cars running longer. These things can also help you avoid being stranded on the side of the road!
- Know when your oil should be changed. While the rule of thumb used to be every three months or around 5,000 miles, that’s no longer true for all cars. Read your manual to know when your vehicle’s oil change is due.
- Know where your car’s check engine light is and that when it comes on, it’s potentially serious. While it may not always mean you’re going to destroy your car if you continue to drive it, in many cases, it does indicate a major problem.
- Know how to replace your windscreen wiper blades. You should replace them every six months or so. You can find the correct type of windshield wipers in your owner’s manual.
- Know how to check all the fluids in your car and what type of replacement fluids you need to purchase. This includes oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze, and windshield wiper fluid.
- Know how to check your tyre pressure and when you need to add or release air. You can do this at you local vulcanizer. Confirm the recommended pressure by the driver’s door.
- Remember to check your headlights and rear lights regularly and clean or replace them about once a year. Headlights do get dimmer over time.
- Know everything about your car by reading the owner’s manual. All brands and models are a little different, so it’s important you know what your car needs and when it needs it. Doing so will keep your car running and help it last longer.
- Remember to change your air filter every six months or as recommended in your car owner’s manual. This will help increase your fuel efficiency.
- Find a good mechanic. Don’t always go with the cheapest or the shop closest to you. Ask your friends and relatives for suggestions. You don’t want to pick a mechanic at random—your car is an expensive investment, and you want to be sure it’s in the right hands.
If you know these ten different things, you’ll be able to keep your vehicle running for years. Keeping your car in good order will also help you get better gas mileage, so you’ll save a little bit of money too.