The PCRRU was established by the current Inspector General of Police (IGP) Ibrahim Idris.
The Public Complaints Rapid Response Unit (PCRRU) recently released its 2018 First Half Report.
The 2018 First Half Report gave a detailed statistics of some of the activities of the PCRRU such as public complaint rankings according to the states, punitive measures on errant law enforcement officials, etc.
Some extract from the 2018 First Half Report includes;
- One Sergeant attached to 43 PMF, Lion Building, Lagos Island, Lagos State was dismissed from service for obtaining the sum of N1.5m under false pretenses.
- One Inspector attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikorodu, Lagos State was dismissed from service and two other reduced in rank from Sergeant to Corporal for extorting N5, 000 from a lady.
- A total of 884 complaints were reported during the period, 750 (84.84%) complaints have been resolved . 10 (1.13%) complaints were found to be false and 124 (14.03%) complaints are still under investigation.
- Lagos State Police Command has the highest number of cases with 209 (23.64%) complaints, followed by Rivers State with 125 (14.14%) and FCT- Abuja 109 (12.33%)
- There is a reduction of 13.29% in the complaint received in the first half of 2018 when compared with period in 2017 which had 1,155 complaints.
- Over 50% reported complaints come in from Lagos, Rivers and FCT-Abuja commands.
See the detailed report HERE